You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: The Doctor just said you're dying in one year | How will you spend it?

in #discussion4 years ago

For nearly three decades, now, I've fantasized about retiring from the world and seeking to become a mystic...

Sufi.png

In a sense, I have achieved a version of this fantasy, by devoting myself wholeheartedly to my art, at the expense of all else (steady job, practical considerations, etc...) Having published 7 books of poetry and prose, I've begun to be described as a spiritual writer and my writing as mystical.

But, in my heart, I know I'm not doing enough. Part of it, is because the seductions of the world are too great and, I do not live alone; I am married.

The other part is that I lack the discipline and, perhaps, the temperament to follow an organized religion--though I am, increasingly, drawn to the mystical branch of Islam, known as Sufism.

If, in fact, I had one year remaining, I should hope that the pressure to meet my maker, soon, would help me to redouble my efforts and clear the inner hurdles that prevent me from pursuing my longing.

Photography by a friend, Zakaria Wakram. You can see more of his art, here

Sort:  

Oh that's beautiful, my friend. The deepness of a contemplative lifestyle is certainly calling you, as the forest was always waiting for Buck in The call of the wild, of Jack London.

This is indeed very inspiring. I will see more of Z. Wakram... food for our souls.

Thank you, for your understanding, kindred spirit & happy discoveries (re: photography).

As Rumi put it: what you are seeking is also seeking you.

Just beginning this book, which I suspect might interest you cqvgsbfpnb.jpg

Oh it seems amazing. Thanks for the reference. I've read some interesting things about that in ARAS (The Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism), from a Jungian point of view, and I want to learn more.